At Total SDR Therapy, two key physios are always involved with each case, one physio takes the lead and the other supports. This enables our therapist’s to offer continuity to families for any annual or sick leave and also allows for some doubling up during sessions. We also find that it is another way to foster variety during pre-hab and re-hab sessions.
Prehabilitation works well for a number of reasons, a few of which are mentioned below.
- It helps to support and prepare the child and their family physically, mentally and emotionally for surgery.
- It starts to prepare the child and family for the intensity of input required post operatively.
- It helps to build relationships prior to surgery thus becoming one less ‘unknown’ post operatively.
- It allows the physio to get to know the child’s likes/dislikes, personality and thresholds.
- It also allows the physio to see the physical profile of the children pre-operatively which is then very helpful for working post-operatively.
- Intensive blocks
We are able to offer regular sessions six days a week and also intensive blocks of therapy if required at any time. We find this works well if we are pushing hard towards a very specific goal, if things have plateaued or if we are working on something new or with a new piece of equipment. It is also a service that we can offer to families visiting from outside the area.